Cream Puffs Recipe
Cream Puffs Recipe
FOR THE PUFFS
- generous 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. (100 ml) water
- 3 1/2 tbsp. (50 g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup (60 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
FOR THE CREAM FILLING
- 4 cups (500 ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- generous 1/8 cup (20 g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1/2 tbsp. (20 g) cornstarch, sifted
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- Bring the water to a boil in a pan with the butter and a pinch of salt. Sift the flour, and when the water is boiling, add it all at once, then stir with a whisk. When the mixture begins to thicken, switch to a wooden spoon and continue to cook over medium heat until the mixture no longer sticks to the sides of the pan, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, let cool slightly, then stir in the eggs one at a time, only adding the second egg when the first one has been completely incorporated.
- Heat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and butter a baking sheet. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4 in (6-7 mm) smooth tip. Pipe the cream puff mixture onto the baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Bring the milk to the boil in a pan with the vanilla bean.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar with a whisk.
- Incorporate the cornstarch and flour. Pour about a quarter of the boiling milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture and stir until the mixture is perfectly combined.
- Then pour this mixture into the rest of the milk and return to the heat. Return to a boil and continue to cook, whisking constantly. Pour the cooked cream filling into a bowl and let it cool it quickly.
- To assemble the cream puffs, put the filling in a pastry bag fitted with a tip. Cut the top off each cream puff and fill with the cream. Serve.
Preparation : 25 minutes
Cooking : 20 minutes