(pappa al pomodoro)
Preparation time : 10 minutes + 30 minutes cooking time
Ingredients for 4 servings
- mature vine tomatoes 1 lb (500 g)
- yellow onion 7 oz (200 g) about 2 small
- water 1 cup (250 ml)
- basil about 1 cup (20 g), torn into pieces
- garlic 3 cloves
- chili powder 1/2 tsp
- stale Tuscan type bread or other rustic bread 1 loaf (filone) weighing approximately 1 lb (400-500 g)
- extra-virgin olive oil 6 tbsp + 2 tsp (100 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the tomatoes by making an X-shaped incision on the bottom of each tomato and blanching them in boiling water for 10-15 seconds. Immediately dip the tomatoes in ice water, then peel them, cut them into four sections, remove the seeds and pass the pulp through a vegetable mill.
- Chop the onion roughly and soften it in a saucepan in 4 tablespoon of the oil along with the whole peeled garlic cloves and the chili powder. Pour in the tomato purée and water, put on the saucepan lid and simmer over a low flame for 25-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dice the stale bread and toast in a nonstick pan (without any fat) until the bread is completely dried out. Add to the soup with the basil, and continue cooking until the bread has softened and thickened the soup, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the garlic cloves.Drizzle the soup with a little extra-virgin olive oil and serve.