- 60 g (2 oz) all-purpose flour for dredging
- 1 eggplant, cut diagonally into long, thick slices
- 120 g (1 cup) pumpkin or sweet potato, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 100 g (3/4 cup) green beans, trimmed
- 1 small onion, cut in crescents
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 90 g (2/3 cup) fresh or frozen green peas
- 8–10 prawns, peeled and deveined, with tails intact
- 4 whitebait, about 60 g (2 oz) each, or white fish fillets, sliced
- 4 scallops, cleaned and sliced in half horizontally
- Oil for deep-frying
- Tempura Dipping Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml (2 cups) iced water
- 250 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- Put flour for dredging in mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok or deep-fryer to 160oC (325oF).
- To prepare first batch batter, beat 1 egg yolk with 1 cup ice water in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add 1 cup flour all at once, and stir briefly with chopsticks or a fork until just combined. The batter may be lumpy but should be quite thin. Do not overmix.
- Dredge the eggplant, pumpkin, green beans and onion pieces in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip a slice of vegetable into the batter and gently shake off any excess.
- Carefully slip vegetables, 5 to 6 pieces at a time, into the hot oil, and cook, turning once, until crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a wire rack or paper towels.