Carrot Cake Recipe
Carrot Cake Recipe
For a more luxurious cake, double the frosting, slice the cake in two, and fill the middle as well.
Special equipment :
- 9in (22cm) round springform cake pan
- 1 cup (4oz) walnuts
- 3/4 cup sunflower or vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 11/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups packed, coarsely grated carrots (about 3 small carrots)
- 2/3 cup (3oz) golden raisins
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- about 1/4 tsp finely grated nutmeg
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
For the cream cheese frosting
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 11/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- finely grated zest of 1/2 an orange
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake the walnuts for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
2. Put the nuts into a clean kitchen towel and rub them to remove excess skin.
3. Pour the oil and eggs into a large bowl, add the vanilla, and pour in the sugar.
4. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the oil mixture until it appears lighter and thickened.
5. Squeeze the grated carrot very well in a clean kitchen towel to remove excess liquid.
6. Gently fold the carrot into the cake batter, ensuring it is evenly blended throughout.
7. By now, the walnuts should be cool. Coarsely chop them, leaving some large pieces.
8. Add the walnuts to the mixture, along with the raisins, and gently fold them in.
9. Sift over the two types of flour and baking powder, then add in any bran left in the sieve.
10. Add the salt, spices, and orange zest, and fold all the ingredients together to combine.
11. Oil the base and sides of the cake pan and dust with flour. Pour the cake batter into pan.
12. Bake for 45 minutes. Test by inserting a skewer into the cake; it should come out clean.
13. If not, bake for a few more minutes and test again. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
14. Combine the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and confectioner’s sugar, then grate in the zest.
15. Using an electric mixer, cream together ingredients until smooth, paler, and fluffy.
16. Using a palette knife, spread the frosting over the cake. Make swirls for texture.
17. For additional decoration, zest the remaining orange using a zester tool.
18. Carefully place the finished cake on a serving plate or cake stand. Decorate the cake with the strands of orange zest. STORE The cake will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.
Serves 8-10 Prep : 20 mins Cook : 45 Mins