Devil’s Food Cake Recipe
Devil’s Food Cake Recipe
This American classic uses the flavor of coffee to enhance the richness of the chocolate, adding a wonderful depth to the finished cake.
Special equipment :
2 x 8in (20cm) cake pans
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 11/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup strong cold coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2–3 tbsp milk
- chocolate, for the shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease the cake pans and dust them with cocoa powder. By hand, or in an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until well mixed. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, mix together the cooled coffee, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Next, beat alternate spoonfuls of the dry and liquid ingredients into the cake batter. Once the mixture is well blended, divide it between the pans.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, until the cake is springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pans for a few minutes, then turn out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the cocoa powder and continue to cook for a minute or two, stirring frequently. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Sift in the confectioner’s sugar, beating thoroughly to combine. Blend, adding the milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and glossy. Allow to cool (it will thicken), then use half to sandwich the cakes together and the remainder to decorate the top and sides of the cake. Finally, use a vegetable peeler to create chocolate shavings and scatter them evenly over the top of the cake.
STORE This cake will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for 5 days.
Don’t be put off by the inclusion of coffee in this recipe. Even if you don’t normally like coffee-flavored cakes, use it here, as its inclusion gives a deep, dark fudgy texture to the chocolate cake, and also subtly enhances the chocolate flavor, rather than an overt coffee taste.
Prep :30 mins
Cook : 30-35 Mins