Swiss Roll Recipe
Swiss Roll Recipe
There is a trick to rolling up a Swiss roll—follow these simple steps and yours will come out perfectly every time.
Special equipment :
- 17 x 11in (43 x 28cm) jelly roll pan
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more to sprinkle
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam, raspberry jam, or chocolate-hazelnut spread
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).Line the jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
2. Set a bowl over a pan of simmering water; the base of the bowl shouldn’t touch the water.
3. Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt with a hand mixer or whisk for 5 minutes, until thick.
4. Test the mixture is ready: drips from the beaters should stay formed for a few seconds.
5. Remove the bowl from the pan. Place it on a work surface. Whisk for 1–2 minutes until cool.
6. Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt over the egg mixture and fold in very gently.
7. Pour onto the pan and level into the corners, smoothing the top with a palette knife.
8. Bake for 10–12 minutes, until firm and springy to the touch of a finger.
9. Check that the cake has shrunk away from the sides of the pan; this shows it is ready.
10. Sprinkle a large sheet of parchment paper evenly with a thin layer of sugar.
11. Carefully turn the Swiss roll out of its pan onto the sugar, so it lies upside down.
12. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then carefully peel the parchment from the cake.
13. If the jam is too thick to spread, warm it gently in a small pan.
14. Spread the jam evenly over the top of the cake, being sure to reach all the edges.
15. Make an indent with the back of a knifealong one short side, 3⁄4in (2cm) from the edge.
16. With the indented side facing you, carefully start to roll the cake up, being gentle but firm.
17. Use the parchment paper to keep the cake tightly rolled and in shape. Leave to cool.
18. Peel off the parchment and place the cake, seam-side down, on a serving plate. Sprinkle with sugar. STORE It will keep in an airtight container for 2 days.
Prep : 20 mins
Cook : 12-15 Mins