This intriguing alternative to carrot cake is a true favorite.
Special equipment :
- 9in (22cm) round springform cake pan
- 1 cup sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 11/2cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup (4oz) hazelnuts
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 11/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (1 small)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Oil the base and sides of the pan and dust with flour. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Put the nuts on a clean kitchen towel and rub them to get rid of excess skin. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Pour the oil and eggs into a bowl, add the vanilla, and pour in the sugar. Mix the oil mixture until lighter and thickened. Squeeze moisture from the zucchini and fold in with the nuts. Sift over the flour, add in any bran left in the sieve. Add the salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest, and fold.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until springy to the touch. Turn out to cool completely on a wire rack.
STORE The cake will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.
Don’t be put off by the unusual inclusion of zucchini. Zucchini are less sweet than carrots, but add moisture and a fresh flavor. The lack of frosting makes this cake healthier, too.
Prep : 20 mins
Cook : 45 Mins