Dragon Phoenix Legs Recipe
Dragon Phoenix Legs Recipe
This night market snack originates from the small fishing villages that surround the north coast of Taiwan. One of the stories behind this dish tells of how the poor people had to find ways to feed their families and so they came up with this dish, adding fish, pork and vegetables to make these ‘chicken legs’. The mixture of fish and chicken gave this dish its name.
- 60 g (21/4 oz) spring greens, sliced
- 15 g (1/2 oz) spring onion, chopped
- 60 g (21/4 oz) carrot, peeled and grated
- A pinch of salt
- 200 g (7 oz) minced fatty pork
- 10 g (1/3 oz) garlic, peeled and chopped
- 40 g (11/3 oz) onion, peeled and chopped
- 12 sheets dried tofu skin, each 25 x 8-cm (10 x 3-in)
- 2 Tbsp plain flour, mixed with 3 Tbsp water
- 1 litre (32 fl oz / 4 cups) cooking oil
- 12 wooden skewers
- Sweet chilli sauce
- 600 g (1 lb 51/3 oz) white fish meat, such as cod or haddock
- 1 tsp roughly chopped ginger
- 50 g (13/4 oz) cornflour
- 11/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 70 g (21/2 oz) ice cubes
- 50 g (13/4 oz) cold water
- 3 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 11/2 Tbsp castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Prepare the fish paste. Freeze the fish until it is hard but still soft enough to cut through with a knife. Cut the fish into small cubes. Using a food processor, blend the fish with the ginger until the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornflour with the salt, sugar, ice and cold water. Mix until smooth. Add to the fish paste and mix well. Using clean hands, gather the fish paste and throw it back into the mixing bowl. Do this 20–30 times until the fish paste gains some viscidity. Set aside until needed.
- Boil a pot of water and blanch the spring greens briefly. Remove and plunge into cold water to cool. Drain and squeeze out any excess water. Season the spring onion and carrot with a pinch of salt. Leave for 20 minutes, then squeeze out any excess water.
- Prepare the filling. Measure out 200 g (7 oz) fish paste and place in a large bowl with the minced pork, garlic, onion, spring greens, spring onion and carrot. Add the seasoning and mix well. Divide the filling into 12 equal portions.
- Wipe a sheet of dried tofu skin with a clean damp cloth, then spoon a portion of filling onto it. Wrap the tofu skin over the filling and shape it into a thick cylinder. Seal the edges of the tofu skin with the flour and water mixture. Repeat to make 12 rolls. Insert a wooden skewer into one end of each roll.
- Heat the oil in a wok to 180oC (350oF). Lower 2–3 rolls into the hot oil and turn off the heat. Let the rolls sit in the hot oil for 1 minute. Reheat the oil over low heat and cook for 3–5 minutes until the rolls are golden brown. Remove and drain well. Repeat to cook the rest of the rolls.
- Serve the dragon phoenix legs with sweet chilli sauce.
Makes 10–12 pieces
Family Favourites – Classic Street Foods – Popular Snacks
by : Tsung-Yun Wan