Easy Homemade Drop Biscuits
This easy drop biscuit recipe only requires 5 simple ingredients! In under 30 minutes you can have homemade drop biscuits on your table!
- 2 cups (240 gr) all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP (14 gr) baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup-1 cup (175-240 ml) milk or buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450 F (232 C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt together. If you want to add any herbs or spices you can add them here.
- Add the pieces of cold butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork until the consistency of coarse meal. If you want to add any cheeses or other add-ins you can stir them in here before adding the milk.
- Add 3/4 cup of the milk and stir just until combined. You can use any milk you like or buttermilk if you want a tangy flavor. If the batter is very dry, add a little more milk until the consistency of a very thick batter. Do not over-mix. The batter will be quite lumpy.
- Drop large mounds (about 1/4 cup each. I use a 2 oz scoop) onto a baking sheet. You can also use a cast iron skille that has been greased with butter.
- Bake at 450 F (232 C) for 18-22 minutes until golden brown
- Brush with melted butter if desired.
- If you have self rising flour on hand you can substitute the ap flour, baking powder, and salt with 2 cups of self-rising flour.
- If you only have salted butter you can use that and leave out the additional salt in the recipe.